Sunday, April 17, 2011

Take A Seat

Stephanie McCullough is a volunteer with Rogers Ozone. Through Ozone, she has participated in the Walton Arts Center’s “Take A Seat” program, in which the WAC offers non-profit organizations free tickets to several of their state-of-the-art productions. Stephanie shares about her experience here:

“I am so thankful for the opportunities provided by the Walton Arts Center’s Take A Seat program. In March, I was able to spend time not only with Meredith, my Ozone mentee, but with two other campers and with a co-counselor the girls adore. We all went to dinner and to see "The Mikado," a comic opera. I really love the chance for these young ladies to experience bits of culture that would otherwise be outplayed by the noise of today's popular boy bands. "The Mikado" was a legitimate opera with a live pit orchestra complete with opening overture. I very much appreciated the time to catch up with my girls!

Soon after that show, I took Meredith and her best friend to see the Harvard Glee Club. Being a music major, I loved the wide span of genres and time periods they covered in their concert. From Renaissance to Baroque to folksongs to Harvard football tunes, the night was a great learning opportunity in seeing the roots and namesake of such a popular TV show so manyteenagers love. The TV show can't compare to the harmonious sounds of REAL Glee!

The last Take A Seat show I saw with Meredith was the "100 Years of Broadway." Meredith loves musicals, but opportunities to see legitimate performances while in high school are rare. She had a great time!

Meredith and I had a ton of fun spending the extra time together on these excursions. I am so thankful this program works with Camp War Eagle to help fulfill CWE's purpose of serving the cultural needs of the precious children of Northwest Arkansas. I wish more counselors would take advantage of it and share these special chances with kids!”

Stephanie is a sophomore studying music at the University of Arkansas. This upcoming summer will be her second as a counselor at Camp War Eagle.

No comments: