Thursday, October 27, 2011

Rogers Intern Spotlight: Scott Bolton


The Ozone Intern program is purposed to develop college-age leaders who have a passion to positively impact the youth culture of Northwest Arkansas by providing them with opportunities to coordinate local peer volunteers and connect with Camp War Eagle campers.

Scott Bolton, a long time Camp War Eagle counselor, recently made the move from Springfield, MO to join Rogers Ozone as an intern. 

Write a brief bio about yourself-3-4 sentences about where you're from, what you like, where you went/go to school.
I was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado but moved to a small northern Missouri town called Lawson when I was 2 and grew up there on a small farm.  My time in Lawson was spent playing percussion in the band, running track and cross country, and playing the drums for my youth group.  Music is probably my biggest interest, I've been playing the drums since I was in the 7th grade and I absolutely love it.  If playing in a band was a viable and responsible career path I would do it in a heartbeat.

How did you come to be part of Camp War Eagle?
A friend of mine, Dana Snyder(then Segal), made a facebook event about the video show at Missouri State, so I figured I'd give it a look.  Went to the video show, thought it looked awesome and signed up for an interview with Darrick Seaton [Camp War Eagle Associate Director], and here I am 4 years later.  Is it weird that I still remember the clothes I wore for the interview?

What originally attracted you to interning for CWE365/Ozone?
To be honest, I had no intentions of moving to NWA or interning for Ozone when I left Springfield for camp this past summer.  Towards the beginning of the summer God started laying it on my heart to move down here, at first I just dismissed it as me wanting to move down here to be with the awesome camp people, but the conviction kept growing until I felt I was being led to apply for the internship.  So I did, found out I had gotten the internship and started making plans to leave Springfield.  It was definitely an unexpected thing, but so obviously from the Lord and I'm so glad I followed the call instead of staying where I was comfortable.

What's been your favorite part of the internship so far?
Just hanging out with the Rogers kids has been awesome.  Our middle school kids are some of the funniest I've ever met, and the high school students are such a mixture of personalities that fit so well together and have fun, it's been a blast!

What's been your favorite camp or ozone memory?
I'm going to have to make two categories for this question, because both of these memories are too good not to mention.  My favorite memory with staff would definitely have to be being on SWAT [Servants Working All Together] 7th session of my 3rd summer.  We had such an awesome group, made a lot of great friendships, and strengthened some that were already there.  My favorite memory with campers would have to be my 4th session cabin, also my 3rd summer.  Almost half of that cabin was made up of kids that I had in cabins in the previous two summers.  It was just really awesome to be able to expand those relationships.  Plus getting to skip the awkward getting to know everyone phase on day one was great.

What do you hope to take away/learn from your time as an intern?
Deciding to do this internship so suddenly really gave me a chance to jump in with no expectations of what all of this was going to look like, which has been an awesome learning and growth experience, but I guess all I do hope to take away from this is a skill set for whatever God has in store for me on the next stage of my journey.

Describe your perfect day.
Every time I'm asked this question I have a hard time deciding between a handful of "perfect days" that I have dreamed up.  Spending the day hiking up a mountain would be awesome, or laying in a hammock on a cool fall day reading the Lord of the Rings.  Seeing the Red Sox beat the Yankees at Fenway park would be another awesome day.  I think the one I'm going to have to go with though would be spending the day playing or even writing music with some talented musicians and having a blast doing it with no goal for the day other than to play music.




There's a ton happening with Rogers Ozone, as well as Ozone in all other cities. To learn more or to get involved, visit our website at www.cwe365.org.

1 comment:

Mariano said...

I feel like i know everything about you now Scott!! haha Can't wait for 2012 camp war eagle!!! Miss ya brother.