Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ozone Welcomes Wes May, new Springdale Staff


Camp War Eagle has recently welcomed Wes May on staff with the CWE365 year-round program.  Wes has just graduated from Ouachita Baptist University in Arkadelphia Arkansas and will be moving to Springdale this month.  Wes has worked at camp over the last four years as a summer staff counselor and seasonal facility coordinator at Camp War Eagle and he is very excited to come aboard fulltime.  We are thrilled to share this recent interview with Wes and we hope you enjoy the insight into his life it provides. 


What aspects of Ozone are you most excited to experience this year?
I am most excited about building relationships with the students and volunteers.
How do you relate to our campers personally?
I am the youngest of five children; I love to play sports, sing, and have a good laugh. On a more personal level as a result of my brother’s death my parents got a divorce when I was 17. I ended up living with some of my friends for the rest of my high school years. It was easy for me to feel as if I was abandoned, but looking back on it now it is great to see how my Father in heaven was guiding and protecting my every move.
What is the toughest thing you've ever been through?
When I was 16 I had a brother who was 17 died from a pulmonary embolism. This is a blood clot to his lungs that makes it impossible to breath. While the whole event was very fast and dramatic, it was the after effects that made this situation the toughest part of my life. It was through the events that would follow that the Lord would draw my heart to his.
What is your favorite Camp War Eagle memory?
It was the last session of my first year at camp.  Osage and Caddo where tied in tribal competition for the session and for the year. It came down to the older boy’s obstacle course with the last member from each team going at the exact same time. They crossed the finish line with less than a second apart from each other! Osage won! On a side note I am not the most competitive person, but just to let you know the only two years the Osage has won were the years that I was working at camp, just saying.
Name a historical figure you would spend a day with and why?
I would love to spend a day with Benaiah, one of King David’s mighty men from the Old Testament.  This is the man-beast that killed two lions with his bare hands! So I would want him to teach me the proper technique on how to survive a lion attack, make a video with my best Bear Grills accent, and then place it on You Tube and become a one hit wonder all in a day’s work!
Name one food you hate?
I hate celery!!!
What personal gifts or skills are you most excited to share with Springdale Ozone?
I love speaking in front of people, coming up with creative skits, planning crazy games, but most importantly I love teaching people how to study God’s word.
What does your perfect day look like?
A perfect day for me would be to wake up with the car packed and ready to go for my family and I to go on a day hike in the Rocky Mountains. Then as the sun begins to set making a camp fire (using leave no trace) and talk about the highs and lows of the day while making a creative camp fire dinner for my family.

No comments: