Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Why I Volunteer, Part 1


Camp War Eagle 365 would not be able to exist without volunteers. Truly, all our greatest moments are made possible by the energy and devotion of leaders who consistently attend meeting after meeting, year after year, for the good of Northwest Arkansas’s young people. Volunteers range from the college freshman who themselves were recently being served by the organization as campers and ozone students, to the college senior, who’s worked the past 2 or 3 summers at camp, to the professionals, people who graduated college a few years ago but still have a very large place in their hearts for CWE kids after allowing camp to sink deeply into them when they were counselors 5 years ago.

Every leader has various reasons for wanting to volunteer their time and gas money, but the underlying theme is the same. They love our kids and have a desire for each one to individually succeed and experience joy and life.

Recently three leaders who are newer to the volunteer team shared the joy of their personal experience volunteering with CWE365’s clubs. We will hear from more leaders throughout the semester.

Erin Suchy, Springdale

How long have you been involved with CWE365, and in what capacity?
This fall is the first time I have been involved with CWE365, because this summer was my first time as a counselor at Camp War Eagle. I am an Ozone Primetime leader in Springdale, where I help out as a small group leader to sixth and seventh graders. I volunteer at the SOAR after school program, where I come every Wednesday to meet with Seidy to read and help her with homework. I also am planning to get matched in the mentoring program at the beginning of next semester, and I am really hoping it will work out for me to mentor one of my campers from day camp!

What led you to become involved in the year round program?
I fell in love with the heart and mission of Camp War Eagle this summer, and the opportunity to keep impacting and being in kids lives all year was a dream come true for me! I talked with other volunteers who volunteered through Ozone in previous years, and I really got to know Erin Wiltse well, which made me want to be involved in Springdale Ozone. Everyone that I talked to had such a positive experience with CWE365, and now I can see how much deeper my relationships with the kids have become since I am able to see them each week, instead of just one week out of the year.

What has been your favorite part of volunteering with CWE365?
I love being in the lives of the kids I volunteer with, week after week, and the relationships I am able to build with the kids. I am able to see them grow as people as they grow in character and knowledge of the bible each time I see them. I know what is going on in their lives, and I am able to walk with them through that while being a reliable older figure in their lives that they can count on and trust to be there for them. I also love that I get to be goofy and have lots of fun with them too, so its like I'm back at Camp War Eagle each Tuesday night!

If you could teach the students in your ozone chapter one thing, what would it be?
If I could teach the students one thing, I would teach my girls about the power in their identity as women in God's eyes. At the primetime age, I have noticed my small group girls are very interested in and distracted by boys. I would want to encourage them and let them see their unique character as women of God, and help them realize that they shouldn't find their identity in the attention they get or do not get from boys.

What would your dream ozone event look like?
My dream ozone event would be a weekend retreat back at camp with all the cities! I would love to be able to get back to camp, worship, learn, and have tons of fun with all my ozone girls!

Share a favorite ozone moment or story!
One of my favorite ozone memories is Great Pretenders! It was so much fun to get all the cities together to have a night of fun, dancing, and games! The kids felt like celebrities when they walked down the red carpet and we pampered them with fun accessories, nail painting, and fake tattoos. My girls had so much fun! I really liked the extra time to hang out with them, and I was able to meet and talk with some of their families that came, so it was a really special, fun night!

Rachel Ford

How long have you been involved with CWE365, and in what capacity?
Since August 2013. I volunteer with Rogers Summit every Thursday evening.

What led you to become involved in the year round program?
I worked at camp this summer and fell in love with the program so I got involved to stay connected with campers and staff.

What has been your favorite part of volunteering with CWE365?
The fun and high energy at every club!

If you could teach the students in your ozone chapter one thing, what would it be?
I love talking about all the cool people in the Bible and how God has awesome adventures in store for every one of these students.

What would your dream ozone event look like?
A huge, Planet Eagle style dance party complete with crazy costumes and fun music.

Share a favorite ozone moment or story!
Grossest club ever when we played zombie apocalypse ball with a cow tongue. Now that's a story worth telling!

Name: Brad Mitchell

How long have you been involved with CWE365, and in what capacity?
I have been volunteering with Springdale Summit Ozone for the past semester.

What led you to become involved in the year round program?
I loved spending time and investing in the kids at camp and the thought of continuing that year round seemed awesome. 

What has been your favorite part of volunteering with CWE365?
My favorite part has been getting to know all of the guys that come to summit and hearing about there lives. It is seriously just as much of a joy for me as it is for them. It is awesome to see the Lord work in their lives throughout the year.

If you could teach the students in your ozone chapter one thing, what would it be?
If I could teach them one thing it would probably be how a college student lives for Christ. I think it would be so cool for them to see real college students living out their faith in their lives. I think it would make the gospel seem more real to them and make them realize that it is a real thing that matters to us and effects our lives. It would also show them that every thing we teach them or say to them isn't just empty advice, but real truth that has effected our lives.

What would your dream ozone event look like?
Giant laser tag event in the whole Jones Center.

Share a favorite ozone moment or story!
One of my favorite moments was seeing one of our guys slide across the stage during our performance at great pretenders. That action was so much bigger than just what it seemed. The guy who did it just recently joined our summit. He came to us a really shy guy that didn't know much about the gospel and had no friends. He is still pretty quiet and shy but the smile he had sliding across the stage was so cool to see. He showed a joy that he never would have had if he hadn't come to ozone. Now he loves coming to ozone because we are basically his only friends. I love seeing him light up every time he comes and sees us. I can tell the Lord is working on his heart and that is incredible to see.

No comments: