Monday, February 10, 2014

CWE365 Intern Blog: Keith, Springdale

From Ordinary to Ozone
An Intern’s Tale by Keith Laster
Days before one of the greatest fictional quests of all time, Bilbo Baggins was asked to join in on an adventure. “Adventure?” he said, “Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things, they’ll make you late for dinner!” His reaction was eerily similar to my initial reaction on a warm summer day at Camp War Eagle when I was asked to consider an internship with Ozone. What about free time, Netflix, and keeping up with football scores? I thought. I was momentarily entrenched by the small comforts that I would sacrifice if I joined the Ozone team. I responded with a not-so convincing “let me think about it,” but what I didn’t know is that later that very night, much like Bilbo, the lure of doing something that matters was about to take hold of my soul, and I was about to embark on an epic adventure.
During the first week of my experience with Ozone we put on the craziest, most exhilarating, and most colorful party I have ever been a part of: the Paint War. I was attacked by literally hundreds of students with paint in their hands and flaming desire for victory in their hearts. I wasn’t going to be outdone though; I fought back with a vengeance and definitely added some Springdale red to the flags of the opposing cities. That night I not only fought in an epic paint war but I also became a friend to some of the coolest students on the globe; Friendships that our weekly club has allowed me to maintain and see grow.
Cleaning Beaver Lake with students 

Since August I have been part of many board games, mind games, skits, and artistic ventures (you should see the Christmas themed maraca I made last week at Lifeline!). Club has been an incredible part of my Ozone adventure. Where else would I be able to create an imaginary animal and send it into battle in my personal favorite game “Mad Scientist” and learn and teach wonderful things about the creator of the universe all in the same night (twice a week)? Not only has it been a ridiculous amount of fun but I have grown tremendously from both the club meetings themselves and the responsibility that I have to contribute weekly to the crazy experience that is club.

One of the best rewards of any adventure are the relationships formed along the way. Imagine Frodo without Samwise, Luke without Leia, or Peter without Susan, Aslan, and the rest of the Narnia crew. I set off on this adventure alongside some of my favorite people on the planet, who challenge me, encourage me, and pray for me regularly, all of which are acts of friendship that I do not take lightly. Lately I have come to agree with John Newton who wrote, “I count my best friends to be those who pray for me.” Ozone has also paved my way to incredible friendships with remarkable students who, over the past year, have filled my life with wide rivers of laughter, moments of tears, and the wonderful assurance of purpose.
Keith, bottom right, with students at the Walton Arts Center

Through it all, the greatest and most epic part of my adventure with Ozone has been the advancement of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Through the club meetings, service projects, and the Gospel centered relationships that Ozone has allowed me to be a part of, I have lived and been a piece of the great mission of the Church of Jesus Christ. What an honor it is to share with students of the greatness of the good news of Jesus on a regular basis. After He triumphantly rose from the grave and just before he ascended into heaven, Jesus spoke to his disciples and gave the most profound and richly affirming commission ever “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Mathew 28:19-20). I have seen and tasted what it is to know that Christ is with me in this great adventure of making disciples that He has called us all to be a part of. Ozone has been and continues to be an incredible medium to live this commission in. What an adventure! 

No comments: