Monday, December 8, 2014

Our New Mentoring Director: Lacey Bailey

My name is Lacey Bailey and I am the new Mentoring Director for Camp War Eagle. I was a 7 year OSAGE camper at Camp Ozark and I worked there for 3 summers in college. In 2006, I joined Permanent Staff at Camp War Eagle and was able be part of opening the gates to thousands of kids in NWA. Until 2010, I worked on Program and 365. I went to school at Ouachita Baptist University, married a soccer player (Caddo) , and we have two beautiful but crazy girls, Annalee and Eleanor. I am passionate about the lessons taught through camp and the way it reaches families in this area. For that reason, I have returned to work as the Mentoring Director. I believe every child, no matter what their background, would benefit from from a one on one mentor. My goal is that our program will be able to continue to grow as we recruit more mentors who are excited to be intentional with our kids. 

The 3 words that describe me: (as given to me by my coworkers) Driven, Blunt, Personal

My favorite camp memory: As a camper: Being the last runner of the girls obstacle course when I was in cabin 1. My tribe was down by 1 minute, so by the time I ran, most of the crowd had made it’s way to the boys obstacle course. This was the first time I truly understood the 3 flames and the value of giving everything of myself. This was a simple and tangible way for my 16 year old self to understand what Paul spoke about in Galatians 1:10 “Am In trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.. As a Staff Member: Getting to see kids really learn to dance and have fun at Special Events. For a few summers, I was the Special Events Director and from the DJ stand, I would see kids that started off each session so unsure of themselves and the camp world they had entered into. My favorite night was the last one of the session because thats when I would see kids really come out of their shell and dance the night away.  

Five things that would be part of my Best Day EVER?
1) All Girls Beach Party
2) Any Osage Victory
3) Cookie Cake (but ONLY from Great American Cookie Company)
4) Lake Day
5.) Seeing my kids blob for the first time

My Favorite thing about 365: The staff. 

The attribute i'm most excited to bring to the CWE365 staff: My experience as a camper and counselor give me a good perspective of lots of aspects of camp. I remember how fun those simple, silly things about camp (like chow hall cheers) were to myself as a kid, and I also remember how much I needed my day off as a counselor. The culmination of these memories helps me in my decisions as I consider what’s best for our staff and kids. 

If I could create any camp special event (or bring back an old one with updates) what it would be:
We did this one time at CWE and I loved it. It’s a reverse of Mission Impossible-the staff hides and the cabins have to find them. I loved it as a kid!

No comments: